Collecting Child Support

Collecting Child Support: Know Your Rights!

Child support is the money paid by a non-custodial parent to help meet the needs of his or her child.  Once a custodial parent has obtained a Child Support Order from a court or administrative agency, requiring the non-custodial parent to pay child support, some parents need assistance actually collecting on that order.  Our law firm has substantial experience in this area and we are ready to help you obtain the money you are entitled to.

What types of services are needed in collecting child support?

There are several steps that must be taken from the point a legally enforceable order for support is obtained.  The first step, in some cases, is locating the non-custodial parent.  Once found, it may be necessary to establish paternity before the order can be enforced against that parent.

Once the non-custodial parent is located, the process of collecting and monitoring payments is the next step.  Child support issues are often ongoing and last many years. Even after you begin receiving payments, there may be a need to adjust the amount of support depending on the changes in the circumstances of the non-custodial parent.  We can help you every step of the way.

Who is eligible to receive child support in Alabama?

Anyone who is a caretaker of a child may be able to apply for child support for that child.  It is not always necessary to have legal custody of the child.  It depends on the situation.  Pregnant women may also apply for support before the child is born.  The right to child support is not dependent on the income of the custodial parent or caregiver.  In other words, there are no income limits to eligibility.

What do I need to have in order for you to work on my case?

The most important thing is proof that you have the responsibility for and control of the child.  This can include the child’s birth certificate, naming you as a parent; proof of guardianship or custody; a letter from Social Security stating you are the child’s representative payee; or a statement from the child’s school stating that the child lives with you.

If you have questions regarding child support, or any other family issues, contact attorney Brad J. Latta online, or by calling (205) 998-5570.

2 thoughts on “Collecting Child Support

  1. jessica ariel keeton Reply

    i had an order for child support yrs ago. he overdosed and recieved disability.. he moved lost his disability and appealed it several times and was denied.. my daughter is 13 and hasnt recieved support since 2012.. do i need to get a new order for child support???

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *