Juvenile Delinquency & College

How Can I Apply to College with a Juvenile Record?

Graduating from high school is an important milestone.  For those planning to go to college, the application process can be a daunting task.  That process can be made more stressful if you have a juvenile record.  Having a record does not necessarily mean you will not be able to get into college.  However, having a criminal record may influence the final decision of a college admissions committee.  Understanding how to handle this situation can make the process a little easier.

Disclosing your criminal record on the application

One of the first questions clients ask is whether they have to acknowledge their criminal record on the application.  It depends.  If the application asks whether you have ever been convicted of a crime, you only have to answer “yes” if you were actually convicted.  Simply being charged for a crime is not the same and does not need to be reported.  On the other hand, if you were convicted but your record was expunged, you can also answer “no.”  Expungement erases any juvenile convictions you have on your record.

How can I get my record expunged?

Expungement is a possibility for certain defendants if a mistake was made in your case or if the details of your case meet certain criteria. Also, if you were charged but not convicted of a crime, you can also request to have the charge expunged from your record.

Will colleges see my criminal record?

Unfortunately, even though some juvenile records may be sealed, colleges have the right to review juvenile records for application purposes.  But understand that not all colleges take criminal history into account when reviewing applications and making admissions decisions.  Applying to college after a conviction is likely to be more complicated.  However, with the legal advice of an experienced juvenile defense attorney, you can protect your rights and opportunities. If you have questions regarding juvenile defense or any other criminal issues, contact attorney Brad J. Latta online, or by calling (205) 998-5570.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *